The Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 and its Aichi Biodiversity Targets, is widely acknowledged as a flexible universal framework for action on biodiversity, and related contributions to sustainable development. The governing bodies of the biodiversity-related conventions have recognized and supported the Strategic Plan as a framework with which they might align their own strategic plans.
This section provides an interactive illustration of this mapping among the strategic plans of the biodiversity-related conventions and the SDGs.
- Strategic plans available in DaRT
Global strategies available in DaRT:
Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020, including Aichi Biodiversity Targets (CBD COP decision X/2)
CITES Strategic Vision: 2021-2030 (Resolution Conf. 18.3)
CITES Strategic Vision: 2008-2020 (Resolution Conf. 16.3 (Rev. CoP17))
Strategic Plan for Migratory Species 2015-2023 (CMS Resolution 11.02)
Strategic Framework for the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) 2020–2030 (CMP 2021/03_Annex 01)
Strategic Plan for the Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture 2018-2027 (CGRFA-16/17/22)
The Fourth Ramsar Strategic Plan 2016-2024 (Ramsar COP Resolution XII.2);
The 2030 Sustainable Development Goals and targets (UNGA Resolution A/RES/70/1)
Regional strategies available in DaRT:
Regional strategies are displayed when logged into DaRT.
EU 2020 Biodiversity Strategy (COM/2011/0244 final)
- Documents used for mapping goals and targets
For the mapping of goals and targets, only mappings approved or published by governing bodies of the biodiversity-related conventions are used:
- Aichi Targets to SDGs: Technical Note on Biodiversity and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- CMS SPMS to Aichi Targets: The Strategic Plan for Migratory Species 2015-2023, Annex A (CMS Resolution 11.02)
- 4th Ramsar Strategic Plan to Aichi Targets: The Fourth Ramsar Strategic Plan 2016-2024, Annex 2 (Ramsar COP Resolution XII.2)
- 4th Ramsar Strategic Plan to SDGs: Scaling up wetland conservation, wise use and restoration to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (2018)
- Strategic Plan for the Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture to SDGs (CGRFA-16/17/22)
- AEWA Strategic Plan to Aichi Targets, SDGs, CMS SPMS (UNEP/AEWA/MOP7/Res. 7.1)
The governing bodies of the biodiversity-related conventions have also encouraged their Parties to engage in the development and implementation of their country’s National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (NBSAP). Once logged in to your national working space, the mapping of your NBSAP with global goals and targets will be displayed as well as with regional strategies relevant for your country (e.g. the AEWA Strategic Plan 2019-2027, the European Biodiversity Strategy, etc.).